Friday, November 4, 2011

You can change the world too

Loved hearing this today: thoughts on something Steve Jobs said "you can change it {life}, you can influence it.  You can build your own THINGS that other people can use.  Once you learn that, you will never be the same again."

Well, you can change and influence the world too!
By building cool PEOPLE. Raise them up.


How vitally important to remember. We influence the world by the people we are raising to live in it, and what they will do with this life, with this knowledge, how they will treat others, what butterfly affects they will start, what kind of people will they be? What foot print will they leave?

We start that process.
We as a community, not even just parents. I know some very important non parents in my children's lives that I know will have major impacts on them. So all of us adults influence these generations.

I remember reading something once (wish I could find it) about how when I speak negative words to my children, I speak them to THEIR children, and their children's children. Because how i raise mine, will teach them how to raise theirs. If I speak positive, loving, strength words to my children, I am speaking them also to  their children, and their children's children....
What we do now affects generation after generation.
And I'm sure in those moments where we lose our temper - we can't imagine doing that to our one day grand-baby. But in essence, we are.
It's a nice perspective to remember.

"No act of kindness you've done, no sequin you've sewn on, no cupcake you've baked, is too small for me to notice and smile over. You are building a great cathedral, but you can't see right now what it will become."



I keep the right perspective when I see myself as a great builder. As one of the people who show up at a job that they will never see finished, to work on something that their name will never be on. The writer of the book went so far as to say that no cathedrals could ever be built in our lifetime because there are so few people willing to sacrifice to that degree.
When I really think about it, I don't want my son to tell the friend he's bringing home from college for Thanksgiving, "My mom gets up at 4 in the morning and bakes homemade pies, and then she hand bastes a turkey for three hours and presses all the linens for the table." That would mean I'd built a shrine or a monument to myself. I just want him to want to come home. And then, if there is anything more to say to his friend, to add, "You're gonna love it there."
As mothers, we are building great cathedrals. We cannot be seen if we're doing it right. And one day, it is very possible that the world will marvel, not only at what we have built, but at the beauty that has been added to the world by the sacrifices of invisible women.
This excerpt from Nicole Johnson's novel The Invisible Woman 

1 comment:

Jessi said...

This is so true! I need to keep this in mind constantly whenever I'm interacting with my son. How I treat him, how I talk to him, it's all going to affect him and in turn, affect others around him. We are raising the next generation. We need to be very intentional and prayerful about how we do it!