Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Little Dude's nursery

When I grew up, my dad was building these...


We were in an oldie car club, and we were always going to car shows, and watching dad geniusly build these works of art from scrap - just as a hobby - for himself. It's not like he was ever trained to do this stuff in his work. Needless to say I grew up with a great appreciation for the oldies. My first car was a 66 mustang coupe... no power steering, no A/C, in 110 degree summer. I loved it :)
Soooo... when I found out I was having a boy, I knew I wanted to trick out his room with some oldie car love!

My little studly man is 19 months now,
but this is how I prepared his room before he arrived. Keep in mind I am NO decorator. This is a total amateur style I've got going on :) But my theory is to just work with items that you like, that make you happy.
I didn't really do a typical baby look in either of my kids rooms, and I think this will still work for a bigger kid room, maybe minus the monkeys which easily peal off.
Since I couldn't decide between my love of monkeys, and my love of oldie cars and garage style gear, I didn't really stick to a theme! I threw in everything I liked!
Sooo.... I've got oldie cars, monkeys, garage, surf, skateboard, boxing, and overall vintage stuff.

I used a lot of my dad's license plates on the wall. These came off the oldie cars he had at one time. I love that I can pass those down.
modern, Ikea dresser - thanks to the hubs for the hours it took to put that thing together :)
This was my 2nd choice. Originally I wanted a really big, red, metal craftsman tool chest. But they are really pricey and a lot of small drawers.

I kept the mirror down low where we'd be changing him because I remember how much my daughter loved looking in the mirror as a baby. I framed a drawing above it that she made for him - her first drawing of the whole family, which included him.
skateboard shelves from PB teen, and a sound wave hat rack I found through PB teen also, which was on clearance! I think it was like $12!

I tried to add personal touches, like capturing the hands of our young little family of 3 (plus the dog), getting ready to welcome #4. So down by the door is the hand of Daddy, Mommy, sister, and Monkey - the dog.
Since I had used a lot of inspiration from things that reminded me of my dad, I also wanted to tie in things that were from my husband too - like his first pair of fighting gloves that hang in the upper corner, as well as the surf board he used for years when we lived in CA.

I replaced all the outlet and light covers with these metal garage style covers, I think I got these at Sears online.
I found a lot of things at antique stores, this old gas sign was from an antique store online, I think somewhere in CO.
Lots of Busted Knuckle Garage gear, in metal and wood. Which at the time I could only find in their online store and in car magazines, but now I even see them in Hobby Lobby!!
I still collect metal hot rod signs which I add every now & then to his room. I had the hardest time picking a wall color so I picked 2, and then put up random stripes in several other colors and different widths which matched the polka dots in his bedding . I don't think I'll ever do stripes again :)
And my dad helped me get all my trinkets up!
Eventually I'd like to find the back seat from an oldie car and make it into a chair in his room. And I want to work in more old surf stuff too. I'm still day dreaming about what to do for a big kid bed. And I'm hoping to eventually do a long metal garage style shelf above his closet.
Ikea has some good options on that.

Almost 2 years later, I still love this room. I think it's my favorite one in the house :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Simiply amazing. You have such talent. And your love for your family shines thru you. I adore you.
Jen:)

Anonymous said...

You touch my heart with your love and sentiment for your family. I give it right back to you. Tammy