Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Darfur Hope necklace - and dedication to my team


This was my life. For more than a year.

I lived. ate. breathed. traveled for. and wrote about. darfur. congo. uganda.

I founded: Be Their Messenger.
Be aware. Know their stories. Send their message.

And we sent messages back too!
I was never more busy, but less stressed.
I loved it. I was never more passionate about anything. I just wanted people to know about these places and their people and their stories. That was my sole purpose - to make them aware. For people to know the stories of all the little ones. All the dying. All the faces of hope. At least if they KNEW. They would CARE.

I traveled to Colorado and D.C. for events. And we held many here locally too.
I had the most amazing team to be a part of locally.
My Save Darfur gals (& guys). :)
We did Tents of Hope. How amazing that was.
We met amazing people.
Like Save Darfur President: Jerry Fowler

Have you seen The Devil Came on Horseback? YOU MUST! Yeah, that's THIS guy! Brian Steidle. He is fantastic. And his sister is equally amazing, doing lots of work with children in Africa.

I finally got to meet Mohamed of Damanga. org who I had been volunteering for for quite some time, (long distance). He is from Darfur and spends his every days traveling all over just to speak about it. To fight for his people.

Emanual Jal. Please just listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT-0NG5_fhw

Aaron Cohen: Slave Hunter

And like I said - My team (local group of hope fighters) = uh-mazing. {Partly Save Darfur, and refugee focused, and eventually this: http://www.darfurandbeyond.org/}
This photo is only a small part of it - Corey, me & Doreen. (We brought Jennifer and Jessica C & Jessica Q and the boys in spirit)
We got to see painted tents from all over the country at tents of hope.
spread across the D.C. lawn.
What an experience.

My website became a full time job in order to stay on top of the news, and once the 2nd kiddo came along, I just couldn't keep up with it and my volunteering at the same time. But I still keep them all very close to my heart. And these places in the world that need so much hope - will always be a part of me. I do hope to get back to being their messenger - at some point. I left part of my heart there...somewhere.
I still work with damanga.org, and I am glad that this still provides me the ability to give my support in a different way, but I would like to thank my special team for all of their hard work, effort, their heart, their passion, what they added to my life, and for all their support to me and Be Their Messenger as well. You guys inspire me more than you know. I can't thank you enough. This one is in honor of you, and dedicated to you, and to all the great people we met along the way that fought with us, that urged us to keep going, that had stories of their own.
Thank you for walking life with me.


For each person that purchases a Darfur Hope necklace, I will send 25% of the purchase price back to an Africa charity of your choice.
And yes - the Darfur pendant can be personalized to say other regions, as long as it fits. Congo would work. Or just Africa.




1 comment:

Rachel Olimb said...

You're amazing. That's all.